Skip Menu
Top_menu
sub_content
Banner


sub_content

About Boseong

History Boseong-gun

Photo: Antique maps of Boseong County

History of Boseong County
Era Historical facts
Three Kingdoms
  • Boseong belonged to Mahan, but it was combined by Baekje and named "Bokhol"
Unified Silla
  • In 757 (King Gyeongdeok, 16th year) this area was called "Boseong" for the first time.
Goryeo Dynasty
  • In 995 (King Sunjong, 14th year) Boseong was renamed "Paeju" and obtained the nickname, "Sanyang".
  • In 1018 (King Hyeonjong 9th year) it was called "Boseong" again through administrative restructuring. Then, it was renamed "Boseong-gun", and 7 hyeons (administrative areas) belonged to Boseong.
Joseon Dynasty
  • In 1395 (King Taejo, 4th year), Boseong temporarily belonged to Goheung-gun due to the frequent Japanese invasions.
  • In 1409 (King Taejong, 9th year), the 4 hyeons (administrative areas) - Namyang, Taegang, Dohwa, and Pungan – were incorporated into Heungyang. Joyang belonged to the main area again.
  • In 1430 (King Sejong, 12th year), Boseong wasincorporated into Suncheon Dohobu after it had been under Jangheung Dohobu. Then in 1895 (King Gojong, 32nd year), it was incorporated into Naju. In August 1896, it belonged to Gwangju.
  • On October 15, 1908 (King Sunjong, 2nd year), Nakan-gun was scrapped
Under the control
of Japan
  • In 1914, a new administrative area structure was established by the Japanese colonial government.
    • Part of Maheul, Jangdong-myeon, Jangheung-gun ; part of Geumdong-ri, Bupyeong-myeon.
    • Part of Segok-ri, Suncheon-gun ; part of Pongrim-ri, Dongha-myeon
    • Part of Namdang-ri, Daeseo-myeon, Goheung-gun & part of Hasong-ri, Dong-myeon were incorporated into Boseong.
    • Yongmun-myeon and Okam-myeon were merged into Boseong-myeon.
    • Gyeomeo-myeon and Baekya-myeon were merged to Gyeombaek-myeon.
    • Munjeon-myeon and Bongdeok-myeon were merged to Mundeok-myeon.
    • Dochon-myeon and Songgok-myeon were merged to Deukryang-myeon.
    • Jonae-myeon and Daegok-myeon were merged to Joseong-myeon
    • Hoeryeong-myeon and Cheonpo-myeon of Jangheung-gun were merged into Cheonpo-myeon.
    • Woongchi-myeon was incorporated into Boseong.
    • In 1915, Gosang-myeon and Nam-myeon were merged into Beolgyo-myeon.
  • In April 1929, 5 ris: Yeonsan, Bongrim, Hoejeong, Jangyang, and Hodong were integrated into Beolgyo-myeon.
  • On October 15, 1941, Boseong-gun consisted of 2 eups, 10 myeons, and 126 ris as Boseong-myeon became a eup.
Republic of Korea
  • On July 1, 1973, Hancheon-ri of Mundeok-myeon was integrated into Songkwang-myeon of Seungju-gun, and on February 15, 1983, Jangdo-ri of Goheung-gun Donggang-myeon and its sea area were incorporated into Beolgyo-eup.
  • 8 ris of Mundeok-myeon, 7 ris of Boknae-myeon and 2 ris of Yuleo-myeon were submerged due to the establishment of Juam Dam which was built from 1984 to 1991.
  • In 1988 (present time), the county was composed of 2 eups, 10 myeons, 126 ris (314 administrative ris) and 593 towns.
  • The number of administrative ris increased to 315 as Usan 4-ri of Boseong-eup was divided into Usan 4-ri and Usan 5-ri on December 16, 2009.